Thursday, August 10

Cape May and Brigantine birding

I spent August 4-7 in New Jersey with Justine, hanging out and birding. I started off Saturday morning at the Dike at Higbee's Beach WMA where I met Pete Dunne and Richard Crossley. Unfortunately there was not much stuff about by the time I got there. I did have some luck with shorebirds around Nummy's Island and Ocean Drive though and got several good pictures.


Black Skimmer American Oystercatcher


The next day I spent driving around the wildlife drive at Edwin B. Forsythe where I got nice pictures of a Forster's Tern and several Osprey. I also had good looks at Short-billed and Long-billed Dowitchers, Least, Semipalmated and Western Sandpipers, Semipalmated and Black-bellied Plovers and Whimbrels.


Forster's Tern Osprey


On Monday I went back to Cape May where I birded the Cape May Point State Park where I took this picture of a Great Egret. At Beaver Swamp I saw the lone sandhill crane and then headed back south for the evening hign tide. I drove along Ocean Drive where there was a good number of peeps and then headed up to Nummy's Island where the tide was too high for most birds. I had large flocks of dowitchers and Whimbrels fly over and noticed that Stone Harbor Point was just covered in sandpipers so I drove over there where the highlight was about 12 Piping Plovers.

Great Egret

No comments: